Wednesday, December 30, 2009

To the Dominican Republic and Back!

Hey all!

So I’m finally back from my 10 day vacation to the Dominican Republic! I had a lot of fun with my mom, cousins, and aunt. We stayed in an all inclusive hotel in Bayahibe, and when I say all inclusive I mean all inclusive. 24 hour buffet and FREE DRINKS! Day 1 we literally did not leave the swim up bar. No joke. First thing we did was head over to the pool and we didn’t leave until it closed. Which of course after triggered an underwater photo shoot that will never see the light of day (or better said, the pages of facebook). Sometimes when we would get lost we’d try to find that blessed swim up bar to get our bearings. Other than the bar we went on a few excursions to do things like snorkeling and buggy riding. My favorite excursion was to a Toros’ baseball game in La Romana. We had almost front row seats and got VIP treatment. We must have been the only tourists (white people) in the whole stadium because the stares were never-ending. Even the team’s mascot jumped up into the bleachers to take pictures with us. Ohhh! And did I forget to mention…we probably were on the afternoon news the next day because the videographer was filming us all night. So silly! After the game we went out to the discotecas to go dancing where again we were stared at all night and for my cousins who are fairer than snow getting caressed was another part of the experience.


The Dominican Republic is a really beautiful country with gorgeous beaches. The people received us very well and I was really happy with the time I got to spend practicing Spanish. I was my family’s personal translator which was really cool…besides when my mom almost yelled at me to do it, and my cousin Heather had me translate every silly word she said when she was drunk haha! I also got the biggest compliment I think I’ve ever received. One day the taxi driver was late for my cousin and I so we went to the front desk to ask them to call the taxi to see what was up. I probably only said “Hello, we are waiting for our taxi that was supposed to arrive 10 minutes ago. Do you think you can call this number and ask if he is on his way?” Well my cousin mumbled something in English so the front desk guy decided to speak English, but then he paused mid-sentence, switched back to Spanish and asked me if I understood English!!! I was shocked! This guy actually thought that Spanish was my FIRST and ONLY language!?! Outstanding! I was so mystified I told him “Of course, I’m American!” He laughed and said how he thought I was Latina. Honestly this for me was mind blowing. Hopefully I’ll be able to trick some Chileans in the months to come…

I had a fabulous time with my family and I really feel a lot closer to my cousins. I know that each of us probably had a moment where we were sick of each other and just wanted to go home, but I love them very much and I know they love me too. We’ve decided that we want to take a trip like that once every year. Next year everyone wants to come and visit me in Chile. My mom and my aunt will come together. My mom is dying to go snowboarding in the Andes, and my aunt says she wants to see Argentina. My cousin Heather will come by herself and I’m sure she’ll want to hit the clubs and go on a man hunt haha! Finally, my cousin Stephanie wants to come by herself and I’m sure that she’ll love the bar scene and whole vibe of Santiago. She has a really cool punk princess style.

As for now I have a little less than three weeks until my grand journey to Chile. Its time to relax yet still prepare for this year long adventure. One of my Christmas gifts was a wrapped piece of paper that said “good for 1 suitcase and all other necessities.” I really don’t know how the heck I’m going to pack. It will be so weird to leave winter for summer, yet still keep in mind that I also have to be prepared for an intense winter beginning my birthday month (June!). I know I’ll be so stressed the last week, but right now I can’t wait!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and holiday season. I’m glad I got to spend it at home with my family and pets. Christmas night my big Rottweiler Shakespeare died of a heart attack which was really traumatic, but I’m happy everyone got to see him a last time. He was sleeping comfortably on the living room floor by the Christmas tree. It was the best way he could have gone.


Have a safe and fun new years! See you next year!

Oh! And my mom’s friend gave her a pot belly pig for Christmas! It’s so adorable and it already seems to think it’s a dog. And it has a really high libido apparently (like all the other animals in this crazy farm house we call our home!)


Besitos!

No comments:

Post a Comment